Tuesday 31 December 2013

Double Chocolate Cranberry Muffins

I couldn't wait to get home yesterday from work and get my comfys on;  -40C would make anyone want to get home, put on a sweater and turn on the stove.  I asked Aubrey if she wanted to help make muffins; she quickly ran over to the kitchen and was asking for her chair.

  I had bought my mom and my aunt these colourful measuring cups that will fit through the mouth of a narrow jar; I realized quickly that I in fact needed them too so I bought myself a set; Merry Christmas to me!  I was very excited to try them out.  I found them at winners; they even clip together which is very helpful for storage.

  I received raw cocoa powder and organic coconut sugar from my friend Cathy this Christmas; I was intrigued to see if I could use these ingredients to make a healthier kind of muffin that would still taste yummy.


We mixed:
2 very ripe bananas
2/3 cup coconut sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup coconut milk

To this mixture we added:
1 cup AP flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup raw cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda

We mixed this up; just until combined and then added our garnish.
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup craisins (dried cranberries) 



 This recipe filled 16 large muffin cups. 
We baked these at 350F for 25 minutes.


Aubrey was a big fan; I have to say that they had a very pleasant taste.

My dad actually was the one that introduced me to Coconut sugar, it is very low on the glycemic index and is a good substitute for people with diabetes...probably not in a recipe with flour and chocolate chips but I feel good to even change out one refined ingredient for a healthier option for my family.


As I type;  the Weather Network says it feels like -42C outside...very chilly!

No comments:

Post a Comment