Friday 16 October 2015

Leftover ham...ham and lentil soup with roasted sweet potato

There's nothing like a leftover ham bone; but what else can you make with it besides split pea soup? That was what I wanted to find out.

 I got my massive pot out and started to heat it up with some grapeseed oil.
I sautéed the leftover ham bone with 3 diced onions and the same amount of chopped celery. Once the onion and celery were soft I added in two cups of dry lentils, two packages of dry onion soup mix, 24 cups of water and two large cans of crushed tomatoes. 
I added in quite a bit of salt and let this simmer for an hour.
I diced up the remaining ham from off the bone and set that aside.
Meanwhile I thought the soup needed something extra so I peeled a large sweet potato and diced it up. I generously coated this with grape seed oil, salt, pepper, ground ginger and ground curry powder. I baked this at 375F for 1/2 hour; I wanted them fork tender but not mushy.
I then added in the diced ham and roasted sweet potato.
The lentils got tender and thickened the soup nicely.
I continued to let the soup simmer and developed flavour.
What is soup without a biscuit? I made a traditional baking powder biscuit; I thought the buttery flavour with pair perfectly  with the intensly flavourful soup.
Right before I served the soup I removed the ham bone from the soup and picked the rest of the meat off of it (I did not realize how much meat was left on it!)
This was a hit. 
Liam liked the soup but he LOVED the biscuits!
So my birthday week has officially begun and the presents started to roll in. I love my friends; I am so blessed.
I sterilized the jars so I could "can" the remainder of the soup; I had a little left over to share!
Our little fashionista!
I also made the chocolate zucchini muffins from my own blog. That was funny; I often go to my own blog to find recipes I like. I should really get this printed off!  I was letting the muffins cool on the table...

...I turned around and this is what I saw...
I then sat him in his chair and he devoured it. He always has room from dessert; that's my boy!
Look who's home from school....he was a little excited.
Sibling love💜
Enough to share!
Update: I ate the soup again and oh boy it keeps on getting better; it ate more like a rich stew.  It was absolutely delicious if I do say so myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment