Sunday 11 October 2015

Falafal craving!

What a wonderful day yesterday of hanging out with my sister, grocery shopping, sewing with my mom and playing with the kids.  I had been craving falafals and bought everything to put in the pitas but couldn't actually find the falafals I usually buy; this is what causes my love-hate relationship with Costco! Costco, you make me love something and then you take it away; but if that's my only trouble in life I got no troubles!!!

I got home and thought; "why can't I make a falafal?". I looked up this recipe and decided I had enough of the ingredients to make a rendition.
I added 2 chopped onions, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 can of drained chickpeas, and 1 cups of frozen peas to my food processor and I pulsed that up. I didn't have any fresh herbs and I wanted a bright flavour to add; I remembered seeing on "guys grocery game" someone made a "pealafal" and so I totally stole that idea by adding frozen peas.
I dumped that into a bowl and added in all the dry ingredients as per the recipe.
At this point I was so happy to have a recipe; I would of never thought of adding baking powder. I think this was a very important component to allow them to be texturly appealing.
I ended up adding in an extra 1/2 cup of flour. I chilled this in the fridge for an hour.
Once this was chilled I used a small icecream scoop and shallow fried the falafal balls; flattening them after the one side was seared. I transferred these to a lined cookie sheet and baked them at 375F for 30 minutes.
While they were baking I got all of the garnish organized.  I Thinly sliced tomato, red onion and cucumber; I mixed this together and set this aside. I got out the whole wheat pita bread, tzakiki and hummus. 
Once the falafals were ready I assembled my pita.
And there you have it! I was so impressed that it actually turned out and I was even more ecstatic that there was a lot left over to freeze for another day. That's my kind of cooking; some for now and some for later!
Ok now it's bedtime!
Update: This was perfect for date night and it took about 5 minutes to assemble!

No comments:

Post a Comment