Friday 11 September 2015

Homemade vanilla Icecream by chef Aubrey

We went to a friends house last week and our host had made homemade icecream when we arrived. Aubrey thought it was very "master chef"  of her and she was totally impressed. Aubrey  asked to borrow the icecream machine and then I gently told her that we own one. Well you could say I rocked her world! So since that visit she has asked to make ice cream pretty much everyday. Our friend provided me with a recipe guideline and the tweaks she has made.  She used;
1can sweetened condensed milk
2&1/2 cups whole milk
1cup whipping cream
Vanilla and cinnamon
Pinch of salt; which we forgot!
Since there are no eggs in this recipe it doesn't need to be heated. Also what makes this recipe great is that with the sweetened condensed milk you don't need any extra sugar. 

The hardest part of making icecream is remembering to put the icecream maker bowl in the freezer; from now on I think I should just leave it in the freezer.

After Aubrey's first day of school I told her we would make icecream; so a promise is a promise!
We got to work and Aubrey measured everything; with my help.

2&1/2 cups of Milk
1 cup of cream
I can of sweetened condensed milk
And Aubrey whisked that together
I periodically checked on Liam in the next room; he loves to gaze out the window.
Our chef gave it a taste and we decided to add a pinch of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla. 
Whisking....
I pulled the icecream maker bowl from the freezer; I had it in there for over 24 hours. It needs to be thoroughly frozen to
churn icecream.
With the icecream machine turned on Aubrey poured the Icecream base into it.
Now to wait...
And wait....
And wait....
We were planning to stand there and watch it churn but then I was reminded that it takes about 20 minutes so we decided to go into the other room and play.
At about 15 minutes I heard the sound coming from the machine change so I could tell we were almost there.
About ten more minutes and voila!

We scooped it into a pail to store it in the freezer.
Aubrey was a little excited!
Aubrey and Liam had some but I think I'll wait until the house is quiet to enjoy my bowl of homemade vanilla icecream.
What a fun way to end the day! I think we'll add pumpkin spice and a bit of pumpkin puree to the next batch for a festive seasonal variety!

No comments:

Post a Comment