Tuesday 8 September 2015

Happy birthday!

For some reason birthdays make me wake up with a child-like anticipation. I love to give gifts; especially a thoughtful gift that I know the person will love. I don't always find that "perfect" gift but usually I can make one. My go-to perfect gift is a freshly made chocolate peanutbutter pie.
I got home from work today and got thinking about what I could take to Jeff at work for a surprise....pie....everyone loves pie. I got the recipe from my own blog and got to work.
I pulled two frozen disks of dough from the freezer and carefully thawed them in the microwave on defrost in 10 second intervals....very risky but I didn't have enough time to wait!
Homemade pudding is done in a snap and tastes way better than the powdered box I used to buy.
Whisking....
Off the heat I added the chocolate and peanutbutter.

Meanwhile; my pie crusts are blind baking. Blind baking is when you bake them with nothing inside. To avoid the dough puffing up you line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill it with dry rice or beans. Once the dough is pretty much set you remove the parchment and the  "weight" and let it brown. I reuse my rice for all my pies and just store it in a ziploc container in my baking drawer.
And voila.
At this point I put Liam down for a much needed nap and was waiting for the pies to chill before I dropped the birthday pie off to the birthday boy. I still needed to make the whipped cream so I tried to do it as quietly as possible not to wake the sleeping child in the next room!
My sister came over so I could run the pie to Jeff's work while Liam napped. I threw a pasta bake in the oven and took Aubrey and her cousin Hurley with me for the brisk drive to headingly to surprise the birthday boy.
An adventure and a movie!
It was a surprise!
He even sent us home with a few treats!
So back home we went feeling quite happy that we made his day. 

Having made two pies we had one at home to share; so we ended up having our own little party for Jeff without him. This included my sisters and my aunt...dinner tastes so much better with a full table!
Before bed the kids sent this picture to their dad....happy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment