Saturday 15 August 2015

Rainbow day 2.0

So after months of Aubrey asking for another rainbow day I finally found the energy to create rainbow day 2.0.
I decided we could start the day off with rainbow waffles. I found a great waffle recipe which I then divided into three bowls and coloured them with blue, purple and pink gel food colouring.
Aubrey had a great time measuring, pouring and stirring. She's becoming quite the baker.
I made sure to not over mix the batter but to thoroughly incorporate the gel food colouring.
We put one small icecream scoop of each colour batter into the greased hot waffle iron. 8 minutes later; Tada!
They turned out great; so colourful and I was pretty surprised that the colours stayed so vibrant. Next time I would be interested in trying this will fruit purée instead of food colouring. 
After an hour at the local wading pool we came home to a colourful lunch. Hurley, Aubrey's cousin and BFF joined us for the afternoon.
Next was a "sandbox" match game. I hid pairs of items in a tub of rice and let them search and find the objects that were pairs. 
After that they made colourful puppets and put on a puppet show behind the couch. 
Colourful marshmallow bingo which was short lived but they enjoyed  the edible bingo chips!
And Lastly was what they were waiting for all day. They mined through a brick of ice with tools and warm water to find the items frozen inside. This had them occupied for more than 30 minutes; and may I add that they were working as a team for that time. It was great to watch.
After a yummy dinner and dessert Rainbow day 2.0 was over. Until the next time; I think maybe I should start planning now!

No comments:

Post a Comment