Wednesday 12 August 2015

Pavlova

So a week or so ago we were having a lovely indoor afternoon when this turned to...
...This! Within a matter of minutes. So what to do? Bake cookies of course!
I was at this stage of the game when I remembered a box of turtles a client had given me. I had been secretly eating them and it was time for them to go! 
So yes let's add them to my oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough batter. That's the best idea I've heard all day!
Ok so these turned out "stupid" or so says my husband. I'm pretty sure that means delicious!
When they tasted so good I added them to a birthday gift I was putting together for a friend. These cookies along with some yummy tea and homemade jam; I think that's a perfect little gift.
So on to the next thing:
This same friends husband asked me to make his wife's favourite dessert for her party; Pavlova. One of my faves but I was still a little timid; this friend is highly creative and an amazing baker herself. I gave myself a pep talk and got to work!
6 Egg whites
1tsp Cream of tartar, pinch of salt and once it's frothy you add a boat load of sugar (1&1/2cups)!
Once there are stiff peaks I gently fold in a mixture of 2tbsp cornstarch, 1tbsp vinegar and 1tsp vanilla. Omit the vanilla if you want the pavlova to be white or use a clear extract of some kind.
I don't mind the off white colour plus I'm all about flavour.
These baked for 2&1/2 hours on
275F then cooled completed in the oven NEVER opening the door from start to finish!
Now comes the fun!
Jeff made me a tasty lime curd with the egg yolks I had saved.
Whip the cream
I would reccommend getting the pavlovas on the serving platter before you decorate them.
It's so muh fun; there are no rules. There are so many different fruits and berries that can be used.
Off to deliver them in a hail storm. That's was fun!
I made a few small pavlovas for us so this  is a glimpse of the inside. They served up really nicely. I topped ours with my special jam and whipping cream. This combo is a winner. 



No comments:

Post a Comment