Friday 22 May 2015

Taco soup for the week

Just one of those weeks where it seemed like a bit more work to choose to be positive but we made it! A few dental visits, work schedules, a teething one year and we chose our way through a week full of sunshine. Thanking God for friends to walk with, eat with and awesome time to reflect on being thankful.
How privledged we are to have healthcare in this beautiful country. A little much needed perspective can change the mood of a situation; that's for sure!

So now to the food; I made a big pot of taco soup and ate it all week topped with my favourite garnishes. Fast and easy! 
I pulled out all of the vegetables I had in my fridge; some things needed to be used and this was the perfect vehicle.
I diced up two onions, a few ribs of celery, two peeled carrots and sautéed them with olive oil, salt, pepper, a ton of cumin and chili powder. I then added in three links of Italian sausage that I removed from their casings. Once the sausage was almost all cooked and had some colour on it I deglazed the Dutch oven with a half a bottle of left over red wine and simmered this for about ten minutes. I added in one can of whole tomatoes that I had blitzed smooth and 1 litre of chicken stock. This filled my large Dutch oven pot.
I brought  this up to a simmer for about 30 minutes and then added in two chopped bell peppers, and a rinsed can of Romano beans.
Lastly I added some frozen corn and chopped cilantro with the stem.
I basically brought this up to temperature and then it was ready to serve.
I love a bowl of this topped with sourcream, shredded cheese, taco chips and a few dashes of chipotle Tabasco!

The soup gets better and better everytime I have a bowl; even the kids are loving it.
Now with my pot almost empty I'm dreaming up what to fill it with next?!
With all the nice weather we've been having it was great to be outside and less time in the kitchen.
Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment