Wednesday 18 February 2015

Pizza


Aubrey and I love pizza! She has simpler tastes than I do but she will usually give anything a one-bite try.  We like to watch the "pioneer women" on tv; which she refers to as "the cowgirl"....she was making homemade pizza yesterday so we decided to give her simple recipe a try.




The only change to the recipe that I made was I used half white all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour. I think this change made the texture a little lumpy.


I have to admit I was a little skeptical about putting the plastic wrapped dough straight into the fridge but I followed the instructions. 
These kids are besties...so sweet!

This is what the dough looked like 24 hours later. This can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days; this is nice because it is a large amount of dough.
Now for the toppings...
Who doesn't like carmalized onions?...
Mild Italian sausage...
Liam loves being held while I cook at the stove. I think he loves the sizzle!

Peppers...
I mixed all of the sautéed toppings into a bowl with chopped cilantro.
Now for the sauce... I had froze small portions of a chunky vegetable pasta sauce that I made a few weeks ago.
I decided to blitz this and it became the perfect  consistency.

Watching "the cowgirl" gathering inspiration!
Now for the dough... This rolled out very easily. I used half of dough which made a pizza on my large sheet pan.
I put a good amount of olive oil on my parchment lined sheet pan.
Now for the assembly...
Sauce, toppings and cheese!

I drizzled the pizza with a little bit of olive oil. I mostly cook with low fat cheese and so I add a little olive oil to make sure it browns nicely.
I baked this at 400F for about 30-40 minutes; I lost track of time!

The dough was more like a thin cracker biscuit; but we prefer thin crusts so this was perfect for us. We will definitly use this recipe again it was so simple and very tasty.  I always like when recipes make more than one meal...definitly a moms friend!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever used a pizza screen? We are addicted to ours, we probably eat pizza here once a week. John is a pizza freak and even throws the dough in the air. We have about 12 different kinds of pizza pans, 3 pizza peels, his goal which will be years away, is when we renovate our kitchen, he wants to put in a pizza oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not use this pizza dough recipe again since finding a Mario Batali one that works great everytime!

    ReplyDelete