Wednesday 4 January 2017

December 2016; almond butter cups and vietnamese noodle bowl

Late posting (written December 31, 2016)...
 
 
As 2016 comes to a close I realize once again how quickly time passes.  Without intentionality life flies; rather races by. I love life and all that it entails; but as I get older I'm learning to see the beauty in the ordinary. Ordinary shouldn't really be ordinary; it's amazing. The sun rising, a baby being born, how the seasons fall right into place.  I'm actually starting to realize my amazement with God and all that He's created.  When life says; "no that just happens", my insides cry out, "no, that's our God!"
 
I'm sick of the noise that tells me this is all by chance or luck even when I know better.  Life is amazing. So, as the end of the year goes, we start to reflect on the year behind us and dream of the year ahead.
My prayer is to be used by God in whatever facet He chooses.  I will say yes.  I want to love, share, grow, hope, and journey with others.  Is that not our purpose here? People?  They are the only thing that can literally go with us to the other side of this life.
 
Too deep for a food blog?.  These are the thoughts that swirl in my head on the regular.  The world, all of its drama and unspeakable craziness.  When a food blog seems pointless.  I will continue to share my journey a little at a time.
 
The past few months I have taken on my own journey to healing.  I felt God telling me to "help myself" so to speak.  I started the healing foods plan by Dr. Axe.  I highly recommend this lifestyle if you have any stomach, digestion, or even autoimmune issues.  I have seen huge benefits.
 
Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE sweets and this recipe below has made eating "clean" bearable.
 
 
 
In a double boiler I put 2&1/2 bars of Lindt 85% dark chocolate and 1 tbsp of coconut oil.

In my food processor I put 1/4 cup of chopped dates, 3 Tbsp sun butter, 1/4 cup roasted almonds, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp coconut oil and 1/2 cup of toasted coconut.  This bulked up the original filling on the recipe above.  I blitz this until it was a paste.

Since I basically doubled the amount of filling by adding the extra ingredients. I was able to put  double the filling in my second test batch; I highly recommend this.
Double the filling of what the above picture shows to reveal the centre of the almond butter cup of the picture below.
 
In mini muffin tin you spoon in 1 teaspoon of metled chocolate, 2 teaspoons of filling and top with 1&1/2 teaspoon chocolate and then an almond.
Topping each almond butter cup with a roasted almond adds another dimension of texture. These are the final product of the second batch.  Much better filling-to-chocolate ratio.
Let these set in the freezer and then store in an airtight container in the freezer.
 
These lasted two weeks in my freezer. They are best served straight out of the freezer!
 
Now this next dish was something I had been craving.  I'm not sure how I didn't know I could make the yummy fish sauce that they pour over "noodle bowl".  I found this very easy recipe.
I strained the garlic and hot pepper out of the sauce before serving this and that was spicy enough for me and the kids.
I chopped up all the fresh garnish we wanted.
shredded carrot
shredded iceberg lettuce
sliced cucumber
snap peas
cilantro
mint
green onion
 

I also roasted a whole chicken, generously seasoned with salt and pepper. Once cooked I simply removed the skin and chopped up all the meat. This was the perfect protein to top the noodle bowls.

I topped my cooked rice noodles with everything I wanted and then poured some lightly warmed sauce on top.  Wow this was so amazing.
Delicious, bright, and that mint was such a great idea!
The kids loved creating their own bowls; they especially liked being able to add only what they wanted. Jeff topped his noodle bowl with crunchy springs rolls and chopped peanuts.
 
Christmas was such a beautiful time with the kids. Aubrey loved her present from Santa, to illustrate her own book.
New outfits from Great Grandma Foulds.
Family time watching tv Christmas movies!
My present from Jeff; can't wait to blog about some of these recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment