Sunday 19 July 2015

Cupcake tribute.

My love language is definitly shaped in food form; especially cupcakes. I make my family and friends cupcakes for birthdays, weddings... any occasion really. I find myself making a very special cupcake today; in honour of our extended family member Lynne. She was a special lady; kind, generous, and a certified spitfire! She fought a courageous  battle and battled she did right til the end. As I baked these cupcakes I found it to be a very therapeutic process. Reminiscing in my mind about the special  and unique relationship we had; which often revolved around our love for nail polish, bake goods and jam. 
Lynne had a super sweet tooth! So I am making my cheesecake filled cupcakes; she would love these. Lynne not being a huge eater near the end, she still would of found room to have a second cupcake!
For these; First you make the cheesecake batter and set aside.
Then you make your favourite batter.
You can fill the muffin cup 3/4 Full with any cake batter: I make mine from scratch but the original recipe calls for a box cake.
My four year old was the photographer!

I then used a small icecream scoop to drop in the chocolate chip cheesecake batter.
And that's it...These baked for 23 minutes on 350F.
The batter rises and the cheesecake is tucked secretly inside.
Aubrey had a gelato cone while we waited!
Now for the creamcheese icing! If I could of just done whipped cream in honour of Lynne I would have; but having to make these a day ahead it wouldn't of kept well. I don't think there are too many people who knew Lynne that can look at a can of "redi-whip" and not think of her!
This is my pipeable cream cheese icing that I use all the time.
I YouTubed how to pipe a carnation flower since that was her favourite flower; and this is what I came up with. I used pink gel food colouring to make the icing a soft pink.
Aubrey helped by decorating the cupcakes with some edible pearls for a bit of class; that was very Lynne. She was always put together. 
Lynne's inclusive nature towards Jeff, me and our family was very kind. Our kids; especially Aubrey will miss  Grandma Lynne.

Here's the finished product; this is what it looks like cut in half.  We had to have a taste test and make sure they were up to standard!

I love that if we are willing and available God can use us in the strangest of places; no talent is too small or insignificant.  All we are responsible for is using what we have to help others: in some cases it may be our time, money, assistance, a hot meal, a listening ear; or in this instance cupcakes. My God isn't too big to use "just a cupcake" to bring healing to a broken heart. 
Lynne (far left)

We love you Lynne.

No comments:

Post a Comment