Saturday 12 July 2014

Share with Cher; Baking 101

My sister Cher is crazy! I mean that in the best possible way. 
As most days go we meet up with the kids. We amalgamate food, ideas and forces to occupy the attention of our larger than life  two+ yearolds. This being the norm there was a time when Aubrey referred to her as mama-Cher and most recently we hear the kids discussing who's mom is who's. This usually does not end civilized. 
We discussed going to mom and dads after preschool camp for a much needed kiddo nap time and then dinner. 
As shift working wives we often find ourselves together for dinner; usually at mom and dads. 

Cher suggested bringing food this time; she asked me if she should throw out unopened expired Greek yogurt. "Uh NO" we can make coffee cake. That's all I had to say and coffee cake was added to the dinner menu.
While the kids are napping the world is our oyster. I was tasked with finding the recipes; homemade burgers and coffee cake. Once I found a straight forward coffee cake recipe I couldn't even think of getting up off the couch. Cher suggested I send it to her and she'd make it.  
Little did I know the next hour I would be entertained! 

The whole process started out so promising. I would peak up from the couch into the kitchen to see what was happening.
A few questions that we're asked...
"What's granulated sugar?" White sugar.
"Another bowl, really?!"
"3/4 cup?"
"How long is this to take?"

Finally I yelled over "wow how long have you been at this??" 
She answered back "well I think I started around the time of Adam and Eve and I think I'll be wrapping this up around the time the trumpet blows!"

I heard a lot of sighing, "oh my words!", and thought i'd go see what was happening. The hand mixer was starting to smell. There was a little mishap with when to add the yogurt so it got a little thick. Crisis averted!

My dad watched with amazement! I think he had gotten 6 snacks in the time she completed making the cake.
Wow I think we set a record for dish use!
So this actually took 70minutes to bake and it tasted delicious! 
A job well done Cher! Aubs gives you a thumbs up!

Now for the burgers!
I have learned my lesson and I know my capabilities! I am not able to handle ground meat without a recipe. Meatloaf, meatballs and hamburger patties are beyond me. Cher wanted a yummy burger so that's what I googled and this is what I found. I decided to stuff it with jalepeno cheese.
I thought I'd share this tip since it was new to Cher; once I had seasoned the meat I cooked a small amount to taste and make sure the seasoning was good. You can't taste raw meat so rather than ruining the entire mixture by under or over seasoning this is a fool proof way of taste testing it.
Once the seasoning was good I wrapped the meat around the rectangles cheese I cut and flattened them to make the patties proportionate to the buns we had; always important!
And there you have it! I put those in the fridge until we were ready for them. My dad did an excellent job of BBQing.

So dinner was a success we had roasted broccoli and potato wedges to accompany the burgers. It was truly a team effort.
It's so much fun being in a family that gets along and not only that but we actually like eachother!
I am so thankful for all of my siblings and I feel very blessed that we get to do life together!


No comments:

Post a Comment