Tuesday 22 November 2016

Pioneer Women's Torilla Soup: Review






I have to say I am such a fan of Ree Drummand; the Pioneer women.  She's also known as Cowgirl in our house.  Aubrey loves to watch "Cowgirl" on Saturday mornings.  No cartoons for our little gal.  Aubrey and I were watching her a few weeks back and this recipe for crockpot tortilla soup was on.  Like so unbelievably easy.  I took the idea with me to my sister-in-laws house and I assisted her as she put this recipe together; no cooking required.  Not even that much chopping.

She does a great how to link below:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup/

  • 3 whole Chicken Breasts
  • 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped
  • 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeded And Chopped
  • 1 whole Seeded Yellow Bell Pepper, Chopped
  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Or Diced Tomatoes, With Juice
  • 1 can Green chiles (not spicy)
  • 3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth (more If You Like The Soup More Liquidy)
  • 4 ounces, weight Tomato Paste
  • 1 whole Chipotle Pepper In Adobo (I omitted this)
  • 1 can Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
  • 1 Lime, Juiced (I did this at the end)

  • You basically lay the chicken breasts on the bottom of the crockpot and sprinkle the seasoning on top.  Then add in everything else.  My sister in law omitted the peppers and instead added celery and frozen corn to bulk up her version. 
     
    After 6-8 hours you shred the chicken with two forks and add in the squeeze of lime. 
    Voila!
    Done!
    After getting home to my own house and not having any of this amazing smelling tortilla soup I whipped of my own in a flash.   I've actually whipped this up twice since then!  I added frozen corn to mine. 

    Always fun to share yummy tasting soups; so I canned it while the soup was still hot so the jars would seal.  This allows the jars to be kept in the fridge for weeks.
     



    Jeff and I loved serving up a bowl of this with fresh cilantro, fresh lime and blue corn tortilla chips.  He added a dollop of Greek yogurt to his and I added some crumbled goat cheese to mine.  Yum!

    It definitely ate like a meal!

    Can anyone guess which princess Aubrey is pretending to be?  I thought she did such a creative job with this homemade costume. 
    Hint; the blanket is to be hair and that's a frying pan she is holding!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment