Saturday 15 October 2016

Gluten Dairy Free Pumpkin Pancakes

Jeff and I arrived home last night after five days away.  As most parents can understand it takes a village to raise children.  We left our kids in very capable hands and off we went for five glorious days to picturesque Prince Edward Island.  One of our main reasons for going to PEI was to visit friends.  We share a milestone year with these friends; Jeff and I attended their wedding 10 years ago, a week before our own wedding.  Since 2006 we've seen each other for a few hours so we all felt it was time.  Long overdue but we all picked up right where we left off.
Our Thanksgiving dinner seemed like it should of been taken out of a Foodie magazine, and every bite was delicious.

 One thing Jeff and I love to do is eat, and vacationing pretty much revolves around our next meal.  The past month I have taken it upon myself to try and  heal my gut (to put it bluntly).  As wonderful as that sounds it has been quite the task, more for my will-power than anything else.  I needed to decide for myself that i couldn't live life anymore not "feeling well" and try to heal my body through food.  I heard it once said, "God won't usually do something for you that you can do yourself".   Yes it may seem harsh but yes I can decide what i eat, and what I put in my body.  Our world is full of amazing produce that we are meant to eat.  The more "whole foods" I eat the more my body craves, it's pretty exciting.
 So needless to say I was little bit skeptical about the timing of the trip and my 180 frame of mind but within 3 days of eating from the healing foods plan I started feeling so much better.  My friend told me about this healing food guide by Dr. Axe; his website is so helpful and has tons of recipes, ideas and helpful information.  This has really helped me figure out which foods trigger my symptoms.  I would encourage you if you are not feeling as good as you think you can,  do yourself a favour and try even a month of clean eating.  Its actually surprising how many things I can eat.  When you cut out the processed foods it allows for creativity to grow.

So this was day two....
 And that was our appetizer.
 Our final night we ate at 21 Breakwater, our friends restaurant and boy was it amazing.  I took a few detours from my plan for this meal but what I found was when it comes to eating it really matters what you do most of the time.  The next morning I was right back on my no dairy, no gluten and back to eating whole foods.
 Mussels.  Enough said.
 Their house burger, which was unlike any burger I've ever tasted; served with the most amazing fries and garlicky mayo.  I hardly had words....and they served it on a tasty gluten free bun.


 They sent us off with the most delicious herb-filled omelette I've every had, what a great send off.  Simple but thoughtfully delicious.


So needless to say the kids were a little happy to see us.  This morning was a great family time and it all started with a healthy breakfast even the kids loved.
We mixed all the wet ingredients together.

We used the gluten free flour we had on hand, next time I would like to try it with coconut flour.
The batter seemed quite thin so we added in a 1/4 cup of oats as well.
The kids waited patiently for their breakfast as they sat and coloured.



Ready to serve, they turned out great. We will definitely be using this recipe again.













I ate these pancakes with raspberries and maple syrup.  Yum!  Now I just need to find more recipes to use of the remaining pumpkin puree!  That's a good "problem" to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment